Thursday, October 16, 2008

Here Goes Nothing. Quite Literally.

Hey everyone, with some suggestions from friends at CP, I'll be making what I believe to be my 2nd or 3rd attempt at a poker blog. Original. I know.


This sounded like a good idea because:

- I'm probably playing more then I ever have

- This'll be a good place for me to learn from those of you unfortunate enough to be reading this

- I now have a great place to rant about everything and nothing, all at the same time

- And maybe most importantly, I'm beginning to think I can actually be good at this game


Again, I have no clue what I'm doing with this blog, but I hope it'll be yet another place where we can learn, converse, laugh, whine, and maybe even someday cry together. Who knows ya know??


Sooooo.... poker talk......


Last night I FT'd the 65k again but had a somewhat disappointing 3rd place finish. When it got down to 3, we all had about even stacks and a lot of play in us. This is about the time I began being impatient and cocky. I essentially tried to win a 1.5 hr FT in 30 mins if that makes any sense.

As an MTT player, I'm a firm believer that to some extent, you have to let the game come to you. Too many times I read about or see or hear people being worried about being the chip leader at some point other then the end of the tournament. Who cares? So what?

This reminds me of the debacle I saw on the WSOP this year, that guy who had what I think was the chip lead going into Day 3 of ME - Norm comments that he could take the day off, watch Circ-de-Sole, and be in great shape for Day 4 - then he proceeds to say bye-bye as I'm sure he felt the pressure of the chip lead and cameras on him, etc.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this, I really do feel that if your playing an MTT and consistently checking your 'status', your not gonna be able to play your best. Something I do with the Tilt Tourney windows is start at the bottom and scroll out the people who get eliminated, not knowing where I stand, so I can make intelligent poker decisions based on poker and not based on "where will this put me?". Because I found myself doing that exact thing at times, actually. Anyways...

So that's why I sucked with 3 to go last night, I was so obsessed with finishing those clowns off and getting the chip lead, I ultimately dug my own grave. Lesson learned.


I aplogize for no HH, no tourney window, no anything-useful for that matter. I promise this blogging thing is something I'll get a little better at once I learn the ropes. Until then, thanks for the support. GL at the tables.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean when you talk about trying to force chips to come to you. That was what my biggest struggle had been in the past, especially if I did get a good preflop hand, it was hard to let go even though I knew I should.

Also, regarding status, I agree completely. What you need to know is your stack size in relation to the blinds and what the current money situation is.

The next time you felt you tried to rush a win, grab some hands and post the replay, as I am really curious to see what the mistakes are so everyone can learn from them.

Ken C said...

linked. gogogogogo

How long have you been playing MTTs? I would think someone with the impressive cashes you've had over the last 6 months has been at it for a while. Look forward to reading about your exploits.

Loretta8 said...

nice first entry son.

Eddie said...

looking forward to many entries kimmer!

djs1070 said...

I horrible at posting blogs, but read many LOL.

Looking forward to reading about your MTT adventures.

Unknown said...

Goot!

RaisingCayne said...

Welcome! Glad I saw Loretta post news of your new blog here. I'll look forward to perusing it often for details into your adventures at the felt. I've always taken note of your presence at my tables in the blogger games and what have you, I'll look forward to reviewing your insights on the blog here.

lj said...

kimmer = bot

NumbBono said...

Hey, nice run lately. Good to see you around in a few of the blogger events.

Linked at www.donkeysdraw.com

BWoP said...

Welcome to blogger world. I'm that Korean chick who kinda made fun of you during one of the Mookies.

lilkimmer77 said...

protocol on commenting in your own blog??

Loretta8 said...

standard procedure

NYRambler said...

welcome to the dark side

Unknown said...

i like......